South African Institute of Architects (SAIA): this is what you need to know about the organisation and how we‘re affiliated to them.
At Sonae Arauco, we have a number of affiliations which we are proud to uphold. These affiliates give our customers peace of mind, assuring them of the high standards we maintain as a company, in terms of how we operate, the quality of our wood-based decorative panels and our approach to sustainability.
One such affiliation that we have is with the SAIA. The SAIA – not to be confused with the South African Insurance Association (also SAIA) – is the South African Institute of Architects, which is a voluntary association made up of affiliated and regional institutes.
The SAIA‘s mission, as set out on their website, is as follows:
"The mission of the Institute is to act as the collective voice serving the interests of its members in pursuit of excellence and responsible design. It aims to uphold the dignity of the architectural profession and contribute meaningfully to the enhancement of society and the environment. The fundamental principles of equality and justice are implicit in our Constitution."
The SAIA has a presence in each of South Africa‘s provinces and, while the primary role of the SAIA is to regulate architects, third party suppliers who produce materials used in the design and décor of buildings, such as Sonae Arauco, are also given the opportunity to become affiliates of the association and, in order to do so must, uphold their standards.
The overall goal of the SAIA is to create a standard to which architects –and affiliate companies – in South Africa can hold themselves to. According to their website, the objectives of the SAIA‘s constitution are to promote and maintain:
- The dignity of the profession of architecture, high standards of conduct, professional competence and integrity
- The art, science, research and practice of architecture
- Opportunities for the interchange and recording of knowledge and experience of architecture
- The architectural environment and cultural heritage
- Interaction with other members of the building industry and the profession of architecture to enhance living
- The interests of society in matters concerned with architecture in relation to the environment and a sustainable future.
The SAIA places a focus on upholding practices that encourage sustainability, professionalism, integrity and competence – all of which align with our own standards. These practices include:
- Provide professional services conscientiously and competently.
- Safeguard the trust placed in them by their clients.
- Conduct their professional practice in a manner that shall not knowingly violate the law.
- When offering professional services it should be expected to carry out to the best of their ability, their obligations in terms of the Institute’s standard procedures, protocols and norms as provided for in the SAIA Practice Manual.
- Seek opportunities to be of service to their community in matters within the scope of their professional training and experience as architects
- Ensure that the natural environment is respected while striving to improve the built environment and the quality of life within it
- Conserve natural resources and the nation‘s heritage
- Observe the requirements of the Institute‘s environmental policy
As affiliates of SAIA, Sonae Arauco not only align ourselves with these goals and practices but we also strive to uphold these standards to the best of our ability as third party suppliers, whether in how we conduct ourselves as a business, our interaction with our customers, our focus on sustainability or our goal of providing wood-based decorative products of the highest quality.
You can find out more about SAIA and what they stand for by visiting their website: https://saia.org.za/?page_id=7737